06 Apr How To Treat Your Spouse.
I know it is common knowledge now that a sizeable number of marriages are collapsing. It is even sadder to note that Christian couples are not excluded, not because God does not have the power to keep them together, but because they simply would not let Him.
We do not have to be ignorant or confused about how husbands and wives should relate with each other. Click To Tweet
This is because God who created marriage, bringing man and woman together as husband and wife did not leave us clueless on how He live together in harmony and bliss.
In the books of Ephesians 5:22-33, 1 Peter 2:21-25 and 1 Peter 3:1-7 God clearly wrote out for us how we should relate with our spouses.
After reading these verses of scriptures, you would find that:
As wives we should;
- Submit ourselves to our husbands as part of our service unto God. This means to yield to his leadership as the head. To subordinate ourselves to our husbands as being lower in ranking and position under his authority in the home.
This is God’s order in the home and He gives grace to every woman who desires to please Him in obedience.
- Reverence our husbands in public and private. The Amplified Bible shed some light on what reverence to our husbands mean;
To respect him
To defer to him ( To defer means to let another person decide, or to accept another person’s opinion, usually because you respect the knowledge or experience of that person) The other person here would be our husbands.
To honour him
To esteem him
To appreciate him
To prize him
To adore him(in the human sense), admire, praise, be devoted, deeply love
And Enjoy him.Note Verse 6 of 1 Peter 3:
It was thus that Sarah obeyed Abraham [following his guidance and acknowledging his headship over her by] calling him lord (master, leader, authority). And you are now her true daughters if you do right and let nothing terrify you [not giving way to hysterical fears or letting anxieties unnerve you].
As husbands you should:
- Love your wife like Christ loved the church. You are to love her sacrificially, letting go of ego and pride. Humbling yourself to lead her in love not as a boss. To love your wife in spite of her faults, with a pure and sincere love, just like Jesus loved the church unconditionally and to death.
- Treat her considerately; (Kindly and helpfully)
- Honour her as physically weaker, not as less valuable or less important, but treating her with tenderness and patience as you would a tender plant.
- You are to cherish her, nourish her, protect her like you would yourself because she is now your flesh.
Note verse 33 of Ephesians 5; Let each man of you [without exception] love his wife as [being in a sense] his very own self;
Note that this instructions or command are not conditional. God did not say if your husband or if your wife… He says to just do it. Whether your husband or wife is doing her part is not the condition, God requires obedience to His word despite your husband’s or wife’s action or inaction.
If only every husband will do their part and every wife does their part, we would have marriages that will glorify God, knock the socks off the devil and grant us peace and joy.
Marriage becomes hard when we choose to transgress God’s command. A man or woman of understating will yield to God’s word.
Good understanding wins favour, but the way of the transgressor is hard [like the barren, dry soil or the impassable swamp]. Proverbs 13:15 AMP
Copyright© Ugochi Oritsejolomisan 2016
Sharing With: Wedded Wednesday.