23 Mar Teamwork In Marriage.
Where do you want to see your marriage next year, in five years, in ten years? Do you and your spouse have a dream/vision for your marriage? Or do you just live each day as it comes, without a definite pursuit in your marriage?
Every couple should have a dream for their marriage. In fact, every couple should have a written dream/vision for their marriage. You must have a direction for you marriage.
And the Lord answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it. Habakuk 2:2
What About Teamwork In Marriage?
We often learn about teamwork. We attend seminars on teamwork, we strive to improve ourselves in team playing in order to perform better in our professions, careers and jobs.
Early this year, I was on an interview panel and I noted as I read through several resumes that 99% of the applicants claim to be great team players.
Every body would be delighted to have great team players on their team; be it in sports, politics, bodies, churches and every other organisation.
What Is A Team And Teamwork?
In order to be a team player, one must first be part of a team. Now what is a team?
A team is a group of people linked in a common purpose. Wikipedia
In marriage therefore, the group of people is the man and his wife and their common purpose is the dream they have for their marriage, God’s purpose for their marriage.
Teamwork is defined by dictionary.com as a cooperative effort on the part of a group of persons acting together as a team or in the interest of a common cause.
It then means that when husband and wife work together as a team, they will fulfil God’s purpose for their marriage.
They would be glad to know that they are both interested in going the same direction, heading towards God’s purpose for their marriage.
Do two people work hand in hand if they aren’t going the sam place? Amos 3:3 MSG
Teamwork Makes The Dream Work is book written by the notable author John C. Maxwell.
From his book I deduced what it means to be a team player in your marriage and how you can do marriage as a team.
How To Be A Great Team Player In Marriage.
- You must believe in the dream God has for your marriage. You must believe in the vision God has given you and your spouse for your marriage.
- You must be committed to your spouse and to your marriage. You must be devoted and disposed to doing everything right in order for your marriage to prosper and fulfil purpose.
- You cannot be committed to what/who you do not care about. You must care for your team member(spouse) and you must care about your marriage.
- You must be a ‘present’ spouse. You must be fully engaged in your marriage, you must be participatory in the relationship, contributing to the welfare of your marriage, doing your part for success.
- You must communicate. You must be open, commune willingly and listen actively. You must share your thoughts in a manner that your spouse will absorb and understand your perspective, you must do this without fault finding solution seeking. And you must listen in order to understand your spouse and react in a manner that brings positive results.
- You must display reliability and consistency. You must work towards earning your spouse’s trust. You must act in a manner that your spouse can call you dependable. Your spouse must know for sure that he/she can rely on you to do your part in making your marital dreams work.
Do you have a dream for your marriage?
Are you a team player in your marriage?
Copyright© Ugochi Oritsejolomisan 2016