It has been a very conflicting issue not only in the world but in the body of Christ, among His church, whether or not God wants us to prosper and whether or not the prosperity of God’s children should be preached. The “prosperity gospel” has been used by many as a tag on the church and preachers as a tool for deceit and a lie to the church. I have heard about some preachers who preached prosperity in the church for self gain and I have witnessed some and I completely abhor the act.
Yet, I must sincerely tell you here and now that God does desire for His people to prosper. I have read it in His word and I believe it. God does not want to see his children suffer starvation, lack or want. He wants us to be able to have what we need and desire as we please Him.
Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4 NASB
We Are Partakers Of God’s Covenant With Abraham Through Christ.
God’s covenant with Abraham was a total package; it included spiritual, physical, financial and material blessings, and of course based upon his willingness to walk with God.
And Abram was very rich in cattle, in silver, and in gold. Genesis 13:2
And Abraham was old, and well stricken in age: and the Lord had blessed Abraham in all things. Genesis 24:1
And the Lord hath blessed my master greatly; and he is become great: and he hath given him flocks, and herds, and silver, and gold, and menservants, and maidservants, and camels, and asses. Genesis 24:35 (Abraham’s servant)
Now the death of Jesus on the cross has established that covenant with non-Jews, on christians all over the world, that is if we also walk with God wholeheartedly.
It is cynical, however, when we take the blessings and leave out the principles, or the conditions necessary for the reception of the blessings. I will share just a few of God’s word on His desire and promises of prosperity for His Church, as a consequence of obedience to the principles and commandments given.
God’s Word On Prosperity.
The scriptures I share below are some of God’s desire and promise concerning prosperity and blessings. But please TAKE NOTE of the principles and requirement for enjoying the blessings.
1. And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the Lord thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth: And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God. Blessed shalt thou be in the city, and blessed shalt thou be in the field. Blessed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy ground, and the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep. Blessed shall be thy basket and thy store. Blessed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and blessed shalt thou be when thou goest out. The Lord shall cause thine enemies that rise up against thee to be smitten before thy face: they shall come out against thee one way, and flee before thee seven ways.The Lord shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all that thou settest thine hand unto; and he shall bless thee in the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. Deuteronomy 28: 2-8
2. The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the Lord shall not want any good thing. Psalm 34:10
3. Praise ye the Lord. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in his commandments. His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed. Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever. Psalm 112:1-3
4. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts.12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the Lord of hosts. Malachi 3: 10-12
And Here’s More.
5. Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:31-33
6. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you. 19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:9, 19
7. Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. 3 John 2
8. Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again. Luke 6:38
9. A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent. Proverbs 28:20
It Is Pretty Clear Isn’t It?
I do not think I need to say much after sharing the above bible verses. I believe christians have a covenant of financial prosperity with God. His word declares that He has not called us to reproach or to serve Him in vain.
God never promised us a life without challenges but He also did not cut a covenant of poverty with us. The verses below show that christians will be persecuted, but they will also be prosperous if they serve wholeheartedly.
And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel’s, But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life. Mark 10:29-30
- I do not support preachers or anyone extorting from believers for their selfish gain.
- I do not agree with those who preach lopsided messages, teaching prosperity without obedience.
- I do agree with God’s word on His desire and promise for His church to prosper; spiritually, physically, financially and materially.
- I believe that ignorance of God’s promises have led to many suffering unnecessary so we must teach God’s word in its entirety. Prosperity is part of the gospel.
- I believe the key thing is that we should not ignore God to chase wealth or serve it, we should rather make sure to honour God with all that we are and have.
So what is your own conclusion on this matter?
Do you or do you not believe believers should be prosperous?
Do you believe it should be taught in our churches?
Copyright© Ugochi Oritsejolomisan 2015
Photo Credit: Wallpapers
Read my post on How To Be A Profitable And Successful Christian