03 Mar 14 Friends All Couples Should Beware Of
We all know that the importance of choosing our influence cannot be over emphasized. As individuals, the people we associate with should be constantly evaluated and filtered because we are influenced and affected and infected by our relationships.
God is so good, He gives us guidelines on how to live our everyday lives, He does not leave us clueless at all, His word covers every single aspect of our lives, even our relationships.
In marriage our relationships are of extreme importance too, our marriages could go right or wrong based on the kind of people we let influence us. Now, I have heard people say no one can influence them to do wrong, while that might be true, it becomes almost impossible when we constantly and closely hang with “wrong” people. When we spend time with people long enough, we begin to take on their kinds of thoughts and perspectives and patterns.
Today, I share with couples, the people I believe they should not bring into their “inner circles”.
1. Friends who think marriage cannot be blissful
2. Friends who think you should never trust your spouse
3. Friends who tell you your love for your spouse is too much
4. Friends who tell you that you are taking your marriage too seriously
5. Friends who tell you it is preposterous to stick to one person all your life
6. Friends who do not believe marriage is created by God and should be run by His Word
7. Friends who tell you that it is foolish to tell your spouse the truth
8. Friends who never agree that marriage is worth any effort
9. Friends who always want to make you see that your spouse is a bad person
10. Friends who always discuss other people’s marriage with you
11. Friends who always want you to spend time with them away from your spouse
12. Friends who have do not believe and have really no value/respect for marriage
13. Friends who always want to convince you into sin
14. Friends who are not under Christ’s Lordship
There are many scriptures to guide our relationships but I will share just a few here with you:
Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not [in him] the lips of knowledge. Proverbs 14:7
A man of violence entices his neighbor and leads him in a way that is not good. Proverbs 16:29 (NASB)
Blessed [is] the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. Psalms 1:1
Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God. Psalms 119:115
He that walketh with wise [men] shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed. Proverbs 13:20
Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. 1 Corinthians 15:33
I have seen and heard how bad friendships have adversely affected marriages, so I thought to share with us some people/friends every husband and wife should refuse to be influenced by.
Do you think this is even an important topic? Are there any other kinds of friends you believe couples should beware of? Please add to the list by stating in the comment box below.
Copyright © Ugochi Oritsejolomisan 2014
Photo Credit: WallpapersHD
Sharing With: Living Proverbs, MYHSM, Wedded Wednesday