Every person has a natural bent towards complaining and murmuring about the things they do not have instead of thinking on and being grateful for the things they do have. The same thing goes for our marriages, lots of couples wish their marriages can be like that of The Jones’s, The Nwachukwu’s, The Adebayo’s or The Adamu’s, they forget to realize that every marriage has its challenges.
Complaining depreciates a thing while thanksgiving on the other hand will make it appreciate. It is a great thing to be grateful for your marriage, not because it is perfect but because you appreciate God for the ways your marriage has been blessed, if you take the time to think, you will figure that your marriage has been blessed in ways more than one. Gratitude injects positivity and possibilities into your marriage while ingratitude, complaining, comparing and murmuring would inject the exact opposite. In fact, complaining only worsens situations.
Do you remember how those that forgot the daily miracles they received and complained in the wilderness were all destroyed and couldn’t enter Canaan? 1 Corinthians 10: 10
Do you also remember how Jesus gave thanks for the little in Matthew 14: 19? And how the five loaves and two fishes fed the multitudes with still much left?
Gratitude will indeed create the right atmosphere for God’s presence in our marriages and make it better.
Benefits Of Gratitude
Research conducted by Robert A. Emmons of UC Davis and Michael E. McCullough of the University of Miami have uncovered interesting facts about gratitude and its effects on human fulfillment.
It showed that people who are grateful and thankful:
- Have more emotional brainpower
- Have a more restful sleep
- Are less susceptible to anxiety
- Are hardly depressed and/or knows better how to shake it off
- Are less likely to be mentally or even physically ill
- Are always more willing to forgive
- Have a higher gust of energy
- Always attract positive and delight-filled people
You can imagine if every couple decides to be grateful and thankful for their marriage, what kind of positivity will be injected into their marriages and how every marriage will be filled with life and health bustling in it.
- Keep your eyes on the blessings of your marriage and so help build positive emotions concerning and in your marriage.
- Help you stop complaining because you see reasons to be thankful.
- Keep the atmosphere conducive for God and His miracles in your marriage.
- Will keep you mentally sound and alert for inspirations from God on how to work your marriage better.
- Encourage forgiveness, joy and laughter in your marriage.
- Reduce tension and friction between you and your spouse and cause you to enjoy your marriage some more.
Death and life are the power of the tongue Proverbs 18: 21 Instead of complaining, murmuring and killing your marriage on a daily basis, decide to be grateful for the blessings your marriage has been to you and by this make room for many more. Think of the thing(s) that you SHOULD be grateful and thankful to God for and celebrate God for them. Learn to let your spouse know on a regular basis those things you are grateful for and ways that your marriage has been a blessing to you.
“Without gratitude, life (MARRIAGE) can be lonely, depressing and impoverished. Gratitude enriches human life. It elevates, inspires, energizes and transforms…” Robert Emmons (The insertion is made by me)
I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving. Psalm 69:30
Thanksgiving will magnify God in your marriage and make the bad good, the good better and the better best.
Are you grateful for your marriage?
How have you been showing gratitude for your marriage?
Do you thank God for your marriage?
Does your spouse know you are grateful?
Copyright© Teshuva 2014